THE OBJECT OF ROTARY
Is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
- The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Membership is open to any person of good character who has a good reputation in their business or community and is willing to serve the community. Rotary is a global network of over 1.2 million volunteers representing a cross-section network of local business, professional and community leaders providing humanitarian services and encouraging high ethical standards.
SERVICES AND PROJECTS
- Health and Welfare Actively involved with the Main Road Clinic and its building since 2003.
- Nutritional E’Pap is supplied for distribution to patients being treated with retroviral drugs for HIV to ensure adequate nutrition to boost the immune system whilst allowing the drugs to work.
- Approximately 10 wheelchairs are distributed annually.
- A heart monitor and defibrillator for the Hout Bay Volunteer Emergency Medical Services.
- Rotary Family Health Days provide a range of free health services to all members of the Hout Bay community.
- The Vision Project eye testing for Grade 1 and 7 pupils with the supply of remedial glasses.
- Hout Bay Health Forum.
- EarlyAct Clubs of Sentinel Primary and Disa Primary caters for youth at primary school level. Interact Club of Silikamva High & Hout Bay High caters for high school level. Interact Leadership training is nurtured via annual 4-day Rotary Youth Leadership camps as well as annual week-long Adventure into Citizenship courses.
- Rotaract Club of Hout Bay caters for young adult school leavers and tertiary students.
3. High school scholarships are awarded via various trusts.
- Dictionary Project delivers dictionaries to schools on an annual basis.
- Bursary Fund catering for 20 tertiary students drawn from Hout Bay community.
- E’Pap nourishment is supplied to over 700 young children in 10 crèches in Hangberg and Imizamo Yethu.
- Community Fire Safety – basic fire-fighting training and basic first aid training in partnership with HBVEMS.
ª Cycle tours and Marathon marshalling.
- Care for the aged.
- Development of the Eyethu Skateboard Park.
- Distribution of Christmas parcels in Hangberg and Imizamo Yethu with Lions Club.
Ad Hoc Support is given as and when needs arise.
If you think you have what it takes to be a good Rotarian, would like to become involved or just curious and would like to visit, please make contact via our website. http://rotaryhoutbay.org
We welcome like-minded people.Meetings take place every
Tuesday in Hout Bay
@ 18:30 for 19:00.